I think i have a slight obsessive nature. Mostly with food. I do go through long phases of having the same thing to eat over and over. Not long ago i posted a recipe for Slow Roasted Harissa Lamb showing how great Harissa is for warm dishes, and ever since i just can’t put down the peppery paste goodness.
One reason i love Harissa is for aesthetic purposes, a bit of why i love edible flowers and herbs so much. Why not make your food look pretty all the time? When you add harissa to a dish, and more than likely to plain yoghurt- it comes alive with this strong orange colour; which to me is quite frankly awesome and i actually say ‘OOOOH’ out loud every time i mix it in exactly like when you put food colouring into cake mixture.
This Harissa, Kidney Bean and Chickpea salad is a perfect thing to make, especially if you are a fan of the whole colour magic too. This salad idea actually came from a place i love in Bristol called Arch House Deli, which do phenomenal Deli salads to take away.
This featured in my surprise salad mix in my deli box and i just had to remake it at home after regretting not getting a whole box of the stuff! You can see me and hubby here enjoying a nice lunchtime picnic with our goodies.
It’s good for you, low calorie and filling for a lunchtime option. Easy to make and of course Gluten Free…Enjoy 🙂
- 240g Drained & Rinsed Chickpeas
- 240g Drained & Rinsed Red Kidney Beans
- 4 Spring Onions, chopped finely.
- 1/2 Juice of 1 Lime
- 1/2 Juice of 1 Lemon
- 160ml Plain Low Fat Yoghurt
- 3-4 Teaspoons of Rose Harissa (I used Belazu’s)
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Put your Chickpeas and Kidney Beans in a large bowl and pat dry.
- Add in the chopped spring onions and give it all a good mix.
- Squeeze over the juices of Lemon and Lime and Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the Yoghurt and Harissa and Stir Well.
- Taste at this point and feel free to add more harissa for extra spice or maybe some lemon zest.
- Season well and chill until serving.