I find Flapjacks very, very sweet things to eat so i rarely have them if i’m out and about- even if i see the rare Gluten Free one offered in a cafe. I like to think i have a sophisticated sweet tooth, hence my love of turning classics into things that are a little bit different.
Not only are these ‘Fancy Flapjacks’ but they also make rather good ‘Fancy Granola’ crumbled over some plain yoghurt with a few nuts thrown in for good measure. The heat from the ginger gives these flapjacks a subtle punch and the rich dark chocolate keeps the sweetness level at bay. Stunningly good cut into small cubes and served with a smokey tea…
- 210g Golden Caster Sugar
- 210g Unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp Golden Syrup or Honey
- 325g/12oz whole Gluten Free Oats
- 10 pieces of Crystallised Stem Ginger Chunks chopped into small pieces.
- 50g of 70% Dark Chocolate chopped into chunks.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C and Line a 23cm round cake tin with parchment paper and grease well with oil or butter.
- Place the sugar, butter and golden syrup or honey together in a saucepan and heat gently and stir continuously until everything's melted together.
- Take the saucepan off of the heat and quickly add in a third of your Stem Ginger chunks. Stir this around until the mixture has taken on some of the ginger flavour.
- Stir in the oats, rest of the ginger pieces and the dark chocolate chunks and mix really well.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and press it out evenly.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes.
- Turn off the oven but keep the flapjack in the oven for a further 10 minutes as the oven cools down.
- Take the flapjack out of the oven and allow to cool before cutting into squares.
- Keep stored in a very tight Tupperware container; if they do get hard for any reason they’ll be fine around a short burst in the microwave!