Thinking Ahead… Leftover Turkey
What a busy month it’s been so far in the WB household. Busy and ridden with cold and flu as well…both stress and illness together is something you really do not want however, along with Christmas Shopping and malls full of crowds it is only inevitable that you will experience one of these feelings in the month of December.
I spent this past week, when at home, lighting candles and eating all sorts of Gluten Free Christmas goodies, feeling festive and seeing as much family as possible. We don’t have a tree this year as we are off to Barbados for the holidays, and we briefly argued, is it worth putting up the tree for a week so we can come home to dismantled fake tree branches and broken glitzy baubles due to Ash and Miko thinking it’s a climbing frame?
So before i hop off to a sunnier climate, i thought i would leave you with a great recipe for leftover turkey: Gluten Free Turkey Hot Pot Pie recipe that i would make with all those yummy Christmas leftovers. My natural instinct would firstly be to put it all in between two slices of gluten free bread and be done with it.. but if you use leftovers in a more elaborate way you’ll find it will leave you with even more leftovers to get you through the week.
Leftovers are one of the best Christmas gifts you can get…
- Drop of Olive Oil
- 4 Rashers of Streaky Bacon or bits of sausage chopped into chunks
- 4 Spring Onions or White onion chopped finely
- 100g Mixed Mushrooms
- Juice of Half a lemon
- 150g Cooked Brussel Sprouts chopped roughly (or other greens)
- 200g Leftover Turkey, shredded, chopped or otherwise
- 1 Heaped tablespoon of Gluten Free Plain Flour or Corn Flour
- 100ml White Wine
- Bay Leaf
- 250ml Chicken/Turkey or Vegetable Stock
- 200g Spinach
- 2 Heaped Tablespoons of Creme Fraiche or 100ml of Double Cream
- 500g Cooked Sliced New Potatoes or Leftover Roast Potatoes Sliced
- Salt & Pepper
- Bits of Butter and Leftover Cheese to top
- Pop the oil into a deep saucepan or saute pan and heat up on a medium heat.
- Add in the bacon/sausage bits and fry until they’re just turning brown.
- Add a dash more olive oil along with the spring onions/onion and mixed mushrooms and reduce the heat slightly. Fry until the mushrooms are just turning soft.
- Add in the roughly chopped Cooked Brussel Sprouts or other greens and the juice of half a lemon. Give it a good mix around and leave for a minute to heat up.
- Sprinkle over 1 heaped tablespoon of Gluten Free Plain Flour/Cornflour and give it a good mix around.
- Pour over 100ml of White Wine, and pop in the bay leaf and leftover turkey, give everything a stir and turn the heat up gently until the liquid has reduced slightly.
- Pour in the 250ml of stock and leave to simmer for around 15-20 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Pile on top of the mixture the spinach and wait until it naturally wilts down. Stir it into the mixture.
- Add in the creme fraiche or double cream, season well and take off the heat. Stir in well and then transfer the filling to a deep ovenproof dish.
- On top of the filling layer with the sliced leftover roast potatoes or sliced cooked new potatoes. Season well once more.
- Top with any leftover cheese, dabs of butter and pop the dish under a grill for around 10-15 minutes so it turns nice and golden.
- Enjoy with some steamed veg on the side.
- You will need a deep large ovenproof dish.
Lots of love,